Daily Archives: February 26, 2011

History of the Butterfly, Part 80: Colonel George Davenport

In 1816 the Americans built Fort Armstrong on a large cliff where the city of Rock Island is now located.  The Fort was about five miles from the village which was home to Black Hawk and Keokuk. The quartermaster of the troops … Continue reading

Posted in American Indians, Black Hawk, Iowa History, Keokuk, The History of the Butterfly | Tagged , , , | 1 Comment